First off, it's a Digital Reader which means that it's a small computer-looking thingy where you can download books, magazines, etc and read them. The best part is that it's wicked light and small - letting you take it anywhere. I'm the kind of gal that packs about 3-4 books with me when we go on vacations on top of about 10 magazines for the flight. A digital reader can hold all that in a tiny lightweight little screen. If you like to read, you should definitely invest in one.
Now here is the reason that I chose the Nook over any other digital reader:
- Barnes & Nobles digital books are super cheap. I've yet to pay more than $10 for any one of them. Obviously, the books that are in higher demand are probably more expensive, but you can definitely find some amazing deals. B&N also has free books every week that you can download.
- My local library supports the B&N Nook. This means that I can go online any time and download free books from my library to my Nook. If you take advantage of your local library (and you should!) check to see which e-readers it will support. Most of them will support the Sony e-reader as well as the Nook.
- B&N has e-lend. This means that if you have friends who also have the Nook and the digital book you purchased is available for e-lending, you can share them with your friends at no cost!
- B&N Nook has Wi-fi, games, internet browser, and so much more. You can play some music with the built-in MP3 player while reading, play Sudoku, look up words that you don't understand, hi-light (especially if you are using it to read textbooks). All in one little itty bitty cutie e-reader.
- You have to get used to "turning the pages". There is a weird delay. Apparently it's there on purpose but I don't buy it. In any case, after reading for about 2 minutes, you don't notice it.
- There is no back light. This is definitely on purpose because I guess it's bad for your eyes. But sometimes I wish it would just light up.
- There is a limit on the number of books you can hold at a time. I haven't reached it yet. But I know there is one.
If you like to use your iPhone or other data phones to read books, there is a Nook app for your phone! ps- I just figured this out today.
So if you're looking for a gift for someone who loves to read, travel, or has it all (except for an e-reader), this could be the gift for you!
I'd also recommend some of these accessories:
Wicked awesome cover for the Nook that's totally classy looking.
Totally cute cover for those who are looking for a little more flare.
For the night owls. Like me. I don't have one yet.
For the traveler.
Don't forget to check out this and other gift ideas on my Holiday Gift Guide.